In this article we are going to examine building a website. There are many ways to do this: write your own code, use any of hundreds of proprietary site building softwares, hire it done. I am going to discuss the most common solution, it is also the easiest.
You will choose the way your site looks with themes, and set how it does things with plugins. Don’t worry about all of the terms and techno-babble, you will pick up what you need as we progress. This is the reason you should use WordPress, it is easily done by anyone with basic computer skills.
Here are the basic expenses:
Domain Name – approximately $14 per year. Always deals here, stay with GoDaddy if your are new, You can also usually get a domain name from your hosting provider, but GoDaddy is easier to find new names and is helpful in the process.
Hosting – approximately $5 per month (only use cPanel based hosting, again the most common). There are many options out there for hosting, there’s cheap and there’s cheap, if you know what I mean. Shop around. Two great options (I host sites with both): HostGator and KVC
That’s it… really that’s all you need to get started in building a website. That’s the beauty of WordPress based sites. You will find hundreds if not thousands of themes and plug ins for sale, but there are so very many that are free, and very effective. You do not have to spend more money here. I will be covering useful plugins later so stay in touch.
The actual steps involved in building a website will be as follows:
- Have your content ready in folders you can easily find. If you are new to this I would suggest making a folder on your desktop with your domain name as the folder name. Inside that folder make three other folders: Images, Articles, Links
- Images obviously will contain the visual elements you want on your site. Stay with .jpg , .jpeg , .gif , and .png file types.
- Articles will have the text you wish to have on site. Have a minimum of three good articles ready, five is better, and ten would be best!
- Links in this you will keep the links and codes you wind up with, advertising banners, autoresponder forms, Google Adsense, FaceBook… etc. Don’t be concerned about the sound of that, you will be glad to have everything concerning your site in one location, and you will know the reason for what things you file here.
- Now let’s put the domain name and hosting together and get our site up. Once your hosting is set up, Log into your cPanel.
It will look something like this.
- After logging in you will be at your main control panel. Scroll to the bottom until you find Softaculus Apps Installer then find and click the little WordPress icon –
- You will find yourself here, just click the install now button in the lower right part of the screen.
- You will be taken to a screen to put in the basic set up and naming for your site. It will look something like the following:
The most important thing here is to consider when building a website here is what directory you want your blog to be in. For instance, if you wish your blog to be on the main directory you would leave the “in directory” field empty. So your blog would show up in “http://mydomain.com”.
Use this option for now and we will cover other options later.
Under Site Settings put in the site name and a short description using keywords if possible. If unsure about keywords do not let that slow you down. This can be changed later and SEO (search engine optimization) will be covered in following articles.
In the Admin Account put in your username and password – do better than “admin” for the user name and keep in mind that the better the password the better the security. Remember, this will be your log in information for the site so write it down.
You will also want to put in an email address using the username you decided on. You will have to set up this email address through your c-panel and don’t forget to check it regularly!
Now pick a theme as shown in the photo below, you can change it later!
Now scroll down and click the final Install button and you are done!
An installation confirmation window will show up next to verify your new site and it is time to log in and start affiliate marketing!
Hope this is helpful. Keep in mind, different browsers can show things differently and you may find a different path to install WordPress on your particular c-panel. Read your screen carefully and you will find it actually is click through easy to build a website.
If you have any questions just leave them in the comment section.